Guide for foreigners


Recruitment for the UR Doctoral School for the academic year 2023/2024

All information about the admissions to the Doctoral School at the University of Rzeszów can be found on our website in detailed tabs. Applications occur via the university's ICT system, which is opened during the time of submitting the applications. The recruitment schedule is available on our website. The same admissions conditions at the UR Doctoral School apply to Polish citizens and foreigners. Foreigners are obliged to undergo the admissions procedure according to the same rules as Polish citizens.


Visa for Poland

After receiving information about admission to the Doctoral School, PhD Students from non-EU countries receive the document confirming admission to the Doctoral School, to be used for their visa applications at the Polish Embassy in a given country.

Please note that the Embassy may require an original document (not in the form of scans) to be provided upon application.

To receive the document, request it by email to the Doctoral School Office, including a passport scan and your current correspondence address.

The document mentioned above is given in the form of:

  • a scan is sent by email, usually within 1-2 business days after the application;
  • original document is sent simultaneously by mail (if required by an embassy).

The final receipt time of the package depends on the destination address and can last up to two weeks.


Temporary Residence Permit

A foreigner planning to stay in Poland for more than 3 months can apply for a temporary residence permit. A temporary residence permit is issued for a maximum of 3 years. The period of validity of the permit may be shorter, however, if the basis for applying for this permit indicates that a shorter stay is justified.

A temporary residence permit shall not be extended (the act does not provide for a procedure for the extension of a temporary residence permit). If a foreigner wants to stay in Poland, they must apply for a new permit.

A foreigner should leave Poland before the expiry of the temporary residence permit, unless they have obtained another valid document allowing them to legally stay in Poland (e.g., another temporary residence permit,, permanent residence permit or long-term EU resident's residence permit).

The procedure of legalizing temporary stay occurs in a voivodeship office - in the department competent for foreigners. An application for a temporary residence permit should be submitted to the voivodeship office competent for the foreigner's place of stay, e.g., if the foreigner stays in Rzeszów, the application should be submitted to the Podkarpackie Voivodeship Office.



A full set of documents needs to be presented to successfully enrol. To avoid problems with enrollment due to missing or incomplete documentation, we suggest that you prepare the required documents in advance, especially those which you cannot obtain in Poland. In most cases, it refers to apostille or legalisation of higher education diplomas.

Higher education diplomas obtained outside of Poland must be authenticated with apostille or legalised. This serves as the basis for acknowledging foreign documents as valid on the territory of Poland.

In case of documents issued in countries which are parties to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 (Dz.U. z 2005, r. nr 112, poz. 938), an apostille has to be obtained. The list of countries and institutions responsible in each country for issuing an apostille can be found here.

Legalization, similar to apostille , confirms the authenticity of a document issued in a country other than Poland. Documents must be legalized if obtaining an apostille is not possible because the country that issued the document is not a party to the Hague Convention mentioned above. If your country is not on the list, you need to contact the institution responsible in this country for legalizing the documents (to use them abroad). Usually it is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Ministry of Education and Science. After obtaining initial confirmation, the Polish consulate should be contacted to finalise the legalisation of the document.

The apostille or legalization must be delivered to the Doctoral School Office within a set deadline.



Ph.D. students receiving a doctoral scholarship are reported to the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) and are subject to compulsory insurance: pension insurance, disability insurance, accident, insurance and voluntary medical insurance.

PhD students are exempt from health contribution if:

  • the health contribution is covered by the current employer,
  • they are employed on the basis of the contract of the mandate (and the health contribution is being paid within the contract),
  • are self-employed.

PhD students are obligated to complete the statement for ZUS purposes (i.e., bank account, address, additional employment). The Ph.D. students have to update the information provided in the statement mentioned above. The update must be made within 7 days of the change to the conditions stated in the previous declaration. The change should be stated in the document, signed and delivered immediately to the Doctoral School Office.


Occupational health examinations

While attending a programme during which PhD Students are exposed to harmful, noxious, or hazardous factors, the PhD Students have to, after enrollment, be referred for a medical examination by an occupational medicine.

Ph.D. students are required to provide a medical certificate to the Doctoral School Office within a set deadline. The occupational health examination is free of charge if performed in the indicated facility (the list will be given with a referral for medical examination). Please remember that it is possible to perform the above-mentioned tests in other medical facilities in the country, but it may be associated with additional fees.


PhD Students Accommodation

Ph.D. students can be accommodated in the Student Dormitories of the University of Rzeszów. More information can be found at the link.


Regular scholarships

Education at the Doctoral School is free. Each Ph.D. student, who does not hold a doctoral degree, receives a scholarship in the minimum amount set by law. The total period of receiving a doctoral scholarship at doctoral schools shall not exceed 4 years.

The scholarship is paid at the end of every month; first after commencement of education (signing the oath) at the Doctoral School.

The statutory (minimum) scholarship numbers are:                  

  • Before the mid-term evaluation (up to 24 months): PLN 2 667,70 gross minus compulsory pension and disability pension contribution;
  • After a positive mid-term  evaluation  (after four semesters): PLN 4 109,70 gross minus compulsory pension and disability pension contribution.

The doctoral scholarship is not taxed.

PhD students with a valid disability certificate receiving a doctoral scholarship increased by 30% in relation to the minimum amount of the regular one, that is,

  • Before the mid-term evaluation (up to 24 months): PLN 3 468,01 gross minus compulsory pension and disability pension contribution;
  • After a positive mid-term  evaluation  (after four semesters): PLN 4 910,01 gross minus compulsory pension and disability pension contribution.

To receive the increased doctoral scholarship,  you should send a scan of your current disability certificate.