Health Insurance

1. Citizens of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA)

  • If a student has a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in EU or EFTA country, he will also have insurance in Poland. The card can be obtained before leaving the country for studies in Poland.
  • If a student does not have valid European Health Insurance Card, the parent should apply him or her to their insurance as a family member. The card can be issued in the country of application.
  • If the parent cannot register the student to their insurance, the student may submit an insurance application to the University of Rzeszów, providing the appropriate reason.


  • A student may apply for the University insurance only in exceptional cases, when he is unable to apply for the health insurance as a family member in his home country.
  • The EHIC card gives the student the right to treatment only in case of a sudden illness. If a student suffers from chronic diseases and wants to continue the treatment he had started before coming to Poland, he is required to register with the National Health Fund the specific form obtained in his home country. A document from the S or E series, depending on the situation, gives the right to treatment to a much wider extent than the EHIC card.

2. Students that study in Poland and have been recognized as the ones of Polish origin in terms of repatriation regulations or possess a valid Polish Card

  • Important! The rights of Polish Card owners are not granted to them automatically. In order to possess these rights, the student has to apply for the university insurance.
  • Students from this category can be applied for insurance by the University of Rzeszów free of charge.
  • In case of receiving Permanent Residence Card and expiration of the Polish Card, the student is no longer entitled to the University health insurance. In this case, the student has to notify the university within the 7 days from the date of receiving the Residence Card, after which the student is deregistered from the University health insurance on the date of the Polish Card expiry and should apply to the National Health Fund in order to sign the contract in accordance with point 4 b.

3. Citizens of Ukraine whose stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland is considered legal

Citizens of Ukraine whose stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland is considered legal - the so-called UKR (If a citizen of Ukraine, referred to in Article 1(1) of the Act on providing support to citizens of Ukraine in consequence of an armed conflict on the territory of this country, arrived legally on the territory of the Republic of Poland within the period from February 24, 2022 to the date stated in the regulations issued on the basis of paragraph 4 and declares his intention to stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland, his stay on this territory is considered legal until March 4, 2024. The stay of a child born on the territory of the Republic of Poland by a mother who is the person referred to in the first sentence during the period relating to the mother, is also considered legal) and arrived in Poland from February 24, 2022, are entitled to health care in Poland to the same extent as the insured persons. This means they do not have to apply for insurance, and once they receive the UKR status, they automatically appear in the system as insured persons.

4. Other students - foreigners

For this group of students, insurance can be obtained in 2 ways:

  1. buy a commercial insurance

In this case, the guarantee amount of the insurance policy should be 30 thousand euros and cover the cost of hospital treatment in Poland. The period of insurance cannot be longer than the number of days of stay abroad, e.g. a policy concluded for two years and allowing only 365 days of stay in Poland, or concluded for one year but allowing 90 days of stay in Poland, is not acceptable;

If the policy was concluded abroad, it must be translated by a Polish sworn translator into Polish or English (in case the studies are conducted in English).

A copy of the policy with the original for inspection must be submitted to the course of study section of the College concerned.

  1. sign a contract with the National Health Insurance Fund and pay premiums to the Social Security Administration on their own:

For this purpose, the student should:

  • Apply to the Provincial Branch of the National Health Insurance Fund in Rzeszow and sign a contract on voluntary health insurance.
  • Documents needed to sign the contract:
    • passport;
    • current visa; residence card
    • certificate of being a student;
    • document confirming registration in Poland;
    • PESEL number;
    • authorization from a parent in the case of a minor student.
    • go to the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) in Rzeszow and register a contract with the NFZ there.  ZUS provides the account number to which the student is obliged to transfer premiums every month. Confirmation of insurance is the contract with the NFZ, together with the ZUS ZZA form and confirmation of payment of the last premium, which the student is obliged to provide to the section of the course of study.
    • The monthly premium is PLN 55.80 (as of February 2024).
    • Note: Insurance in the National Health Fund cannot be duplicated. In case of acquiring another title to NFZ health insurance, such as: employment based on an employment contract, contract of mandate (in the case of persons over 26 years of age), registration of own business, compulsory insurance with a working spouse, this fact must be reported by the student to the University.