In terms of the scientific discipline: pedagogy, the Institute of Pedagogy holds a B+ category, which means that the Scientific Council of the College of Social Sciences of the University of Rzeszow has the authority to award doctoral and post-doctoral (dr hab) degrees in the discipline: pedagogy.
The scientific and research profile of the Institute of Pedagogy is an effect of changes taking place in contemporary Polish and global pedagogy as well as curricular and structural changes taking place in the Polish educational system after 1999, but above all, it is an effect of individual interests of its academic staff.
The research topics of the Institute's staff include a wide range of pedagogical and psychological sub-disciplines. They focus on the main issues that result from the analysis of the needs of the changing educational, upbringing, and caring reality in Poland in the era of accelerated processes of socio-cultural and media transformations and the accompanying new educational challenges, as well as from contemporary trends in the development of educational sciences and their application in educational systems.
The constitutive research areas carried out by the Institute's staff are:
- historical and contemporary (post-modern and global) problems of education, care, and The research is focused on the analysis of the heritage of Galician and the Second Polish Republic education systems in the context of contemporary educational reality. Additionally, it centers on the analysis of economic, legal, sociological, and cultural factors affecting the operation of small schools, including an exploration of the consequences of closing these institutions;
- pedagogical aspects of contemporary social changes. Research in this area aims to present models of social upbringing from the perspective of various pedagogical sub-disciplines (social pedagogy, care pedagogy, resocialisation pedagogy, educational theory, and the sociology of education);
- disability studies – interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary disability studies, including social inclusion of marginalized people, and inclusive education – implications for theory, research, practice, and composing and decomposing disability in the context of performativity;
- the multidimensional aspect of media pedagogy – problems, trends, mediators of change. Research in this area is related to the search for theoretical and practical models of human-media interaction. It also encompasses the process of mediatization, which determines the need to query its multiple indicators. Furthermore, scientific explorations focus on diagnosing a mediatized society at all stages of development in both formal and informal education;
- early education: trends, changes, perspectives. Theoretical and empirical analyses focus on issues related to, among others, the concept of figurative child imagery, literary education of the child, and intersemiotic translation;
- psychosocial aspects of adolescent and adult functioning. The fundamental issue addressed within this research area is the search for answers regarding the phylogeny and current manifestations of various aspects of the human mind. In the stream of psychological research, topics concerning the incidence of behavioral disorders during adolescence, as well as aspects related to factors determining the level of interpersonal relationships, are also explored;
- the theory and practice of the educational space, including didactic issues related to the functioning of the virtual educational space, with a special emphasis on the so-called "augmented reality", its place, and its role in educational processes at all stages of education.
The signed agreements between the Institute of Pedagogy and other scientific centers in the country and abroad provide significant opportunities for intensifying scientific and research work. The leading agreements include:
- Agreement with the Faculty of Pedagogical Sciences at the M. Grzegorzewska Academy of Special Education in Warsaw.
- Agreement with the Faculty of Culture and Arts of the Ivan Franko National University in Lviv (Ukraine).
- Agreement with the Pedagogical Faculty of the Ivan Ohijenko National University in Kamyanets Podolskiy (Ukraine).
- Agreement with the Institute of Education and Social Work of the Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Prešov (Slovakia).
- Agreement with Bagwell College of Education at Kennesaw State University (USA).
The Institute publishes the following academic journals:
– Culture. Changes. Education;
– Journal of Education, Technology and Computer Science (Edukacja–Technika–Informatyka). Theoretical and practical problems of technical and vocational education";
– Lviv-Rzeszow Scientific Notebooks (Lwowsko-Rzeszowskie Zeszyty Naukowe.
The publishing output of the Institute of Pedagogy also includes publishing series in the form of thematic studies devoted to a specific group of issues in the field of education and schooling in the broadest sense. These include:
– Faces of the Little School in Poland and the World (Oblicza Małej Szkoły w Polsce i Świecie);
– Values in pedagogy (Wartości w pedagogice).
The result of the scientific activities carried out in cooperation with Polish and foreign academic centers are cyclical conferences devoted to widely understood educational problems.