About the Centre
The Polish Community Centre was established by the Rector of the University of Rzeszow, Professor Sylwester Czopek, on January 1, 2020, based on Resolution No. 523/12/2019 of the UR Senate. It was created by merging two organisational units:
- The Centre for Polish Culture and Language for Poles from Abroad and Foreigners ‘Polonus’
- The Centre for Research on Polonia and Poles from Abroad.
The newly created Centre continues the mission of the former organisational units. It is a specialised research and teaching unit that functions within the College of Humanities at the University of Rzeszow.
The tasks of the Centre include, but are not limited to:
- collecting, processing, and providing access to archival materials, sources, and studies concerning the Polish diaspora,
- conducting interdisciplinary research on Polish culture, particularly in the fields of linguistics, literary studies, cultural studies, and history;
- developing educational programmes for foreigners studying Polish as a foreign language,
- organising and conducting preparatory courses for foreigners intending to study in Poland,
- organising courses in Polish language and culture for foreigners,
- educating future teachers of Polish as a foreign language,
- promoting the educational and scientific offer of the Centre,
- acquiring external funding for research, archiving, and teaching purposes.