Food preferences of school pupils
Address of information system with evidences of research contribution and evidences of societal impact
Institute of Health Sciences, Medical College of Rzeszow University
Title of societal impact case study
Assessment of food preferences and body weight composition of primary school pupils from the city of Leżajsk
1. Research contribution
Interest in feeding children in school canteens is related to the guidelines of the Minister of Health in this regard and the regulation of 1 August 2016 - Warsaw, item 1154 of 26 July 2016 on groups of foodstuffs intended for sale to children and adolescents in units of the education system and the requirements that must be met by foodstuffs used as part of collective nutrition of children and adolescents in these units: http://prawo.sejm.gov.pl/isap.nsf/download.xsp/WDU20160001154/O/D20161154.pdf. (access: 25.03.2020).
Responses to the ordinance of the Minister of Health include changes in children's nutrition at school No. 3 in Leżajsk, and then at all primary schools in the city of Leżajsk (primary school No. 1 - Grunwaldzka street 1, primary school No. 2 - 51 Mickiewicza street, primary school No. 3 - street No. 11 Listopada 8 ).
Due to the broad media interest in feeding children in Leżajsk schools, employees of the University of Rzeszów: Anna Bartosiewicz, Edyta Łuszczki, Katarzyna Dereń, Maciej Kuchciak and Gabriel Bobula, in consultation with Mr. Pro-Rector of the College of Medical Sciences Prof. Dr hab. n. med. Artur Mazur asked Mayor of Leżajsk, Mr. Ireneusz Stefański, for permission to conduct comprehensive research of children from these schools and to implement the project: Assessment of food preferences and body weight composition of primary school pupils from the city of Leżajsk.
Institute of Health Sciences:
Dr Anna Bartosiewicz, Dr Edyta Łuszczki, Dr inż. Katarzyna Dereń, Mgr Elżbieta Motyka
Institute of Physical Culture Sciences:
Dr Gabriel Bobula, Mgr Maciej Kuchciak
- Efforts to obtain the mayor's consent to conduct scheduled research
- Obtaining the consent of the mayor of Leżajsk
- Establishing contact with the directors of all primary schools of the city of Leżajsk - obtaining permission to conduct planned tests.
- Preparation of an information letter to parents / guardians of children about planned tests
and the topic of planned research
- Preparation of consents for parents / guardians for the participation of their child / mentee in the study
- Determining how to encode data and test results of students participating in the study
- Preparation of questionnaires regarding dietary preferences, lifestyle, sleep and physical activity of the examined children
- Distribution of survey information, consents and questionnaires to parents / guardians via an electronic journal
- Arranging dates and details of research in each school - presenting details and organization of research
- Transporting test equipment: body composition analyzers, certified pressure measuring instruments, disinfectants
- Measurements will be carried out on: 10-13.02.2020 - in total 618 children
- Research on food preferences, diet, leisure time, sleep and rest of students using a questionnaire
- Body weight composition assessment - using the Tanita BC420 analyzer
- Blood pressure measurement - non-invasive and safe blood pressure measurement using a certified Welch Allyn automatic blood pressure monitor.
The conducted research met with wide interest and acceptance of parents / guardians, teaching staff and examined students. Leżajska's measurements among primary school students met with great media interest: research workers gave interviews to Telewizja Polsat and Polish Radio Rzeszów:https://www.radio.rzeszow.pl/wiadomosci/29141/w-lezajskich-szkolach-dbaja-o-linie-uczniow (access: 25.03.2020).
- Preparation of research summary reports (collective report and three summary reports for each school).
- Preparation of individual research results reports
- Preparation of materials for interpretation of obtained results
- Preparation of dietary and nutritional recommendations for children, based on the guidelines of the Institute of Food and Nutrition.
2. Evidence of research contribution
- Interview for Polish Radio Rzeszów.
- Summary reports of measurements made for the Mayor and School Directors participating in the study
- Individual reports for the parents / guardians of the respondents and materials regarding the interpretation of measurements
- Information materials on nutritional recommendations and recommendations regarding physical activity of children, based on the guidelines of the Institute of Food and Nutrition
- publication and conference materials in preparation.
3. Characteristic of societal impact
Activities for the environment after the research:
- Professional reports - printouts with student test results, sealed in separate envelopes coded in accordance with the previously adopted personal data protection system, individually for each student
- Information on the interpretation of the results obtained, with an indication of any recommendations in case of exceeding the norm - indication of children at risk
- Recommendations for parents / guardians regarding nutrition recommendations for children of this age prepared by nutrition specialists - researchers of the Dietetics Department
- Recommendations for parents / guardians on the role and recommendations of physical activity of children necessary for their proper development prepared by specialists in the field of physical activity - academic staff of the Institute of Physical Culture
- In the plan: a series of meetings for parents of the surveyed students: presentation of the principles of healthy eating and healthy lifestyle by employees of the Department of Dietetics and Physical Culture.
- Permanent contact with the coordinator of children's nutrition of the city of Leżajsk
- Publications and conference materials in preparation.
4. Evidence of societal impact
- Interview University of Rzeszów employees for the Polish Radio Rzeszów:https://www.radio.rzeszow.pl/wiadomosci/29141/w-lezajskich-szkolach-dbaja-o-linie-uczniow (access 25.03.2020).
- Interview University of Rzeszów employees for the TV Polsat.
5. Justification of interdisciplinarity and breakhrough of the research
Benefits of interdisciplinary work:
The project was made in cooperation with the employees of the Institute of Health Sciences and the Institute of Physical Sciences, combined not only aspects of health, but also those related to physical activity. The cooperation of both teams was the basis for planning, preparation and efficient implementation of the project: Assessment of food preferences and body weight composition of elementary school students in the city of Leżajsk.
- cooperation between scientists
- exchange of scientific experience
- potential research increase