Address of information system with evidences of research contribution and evidences of societal impact
Institute of Health Sciences, College of Medical Sciences, University of Rzeszow
Title of societal impact case study
Selected clinical and functional parameters of women after mastectomy in the Podkarpackie province
1. Research contribution
Oncological diseases are the main cause of human death in the world, which is why they are a big challenge for modern medicine, including rehabilitation. The Central Statistical Office in Poland forecasts that the number of cases and deaths by 2025 will be steadily increasing and affect both sexes. Breast cancer is the most common malignant cancer in women and accounts for as much as 23% of all cases. Patients after surgical removal of breast cancer, frequently used dysfunctions end as well as have psychological problems, and oncological rehabilitation is very important in the treatment of complications .
Considering the above, an educational and research project was developed to educate women after mastectomy in the prevention of relapses, as well as to become aware of the importance of modification modification in their lifestyle.
The aim of the project was to assess selected parameters and functional women treated for breast cancer in a variety of different areas, i.e. time from diagnosis, type of treatment, sociodemographic factors. Specific objectives: Assessment of physical activity and body mass components in the studied group. Study of the relationship between physical activity and body mass components. Examination of other selected health parameters, i.e. equivalent abilities, muscle strength, quality of life in the context of undertaken physical activity.
The evaluation included: body mass components with a body mass composition analyzer (Tanita MC 780 MA), physical activity parameters (International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) in the long version, GT1M accelerometer), body mass and height (PORTSTAND 210 stadiometer). The main element of the study was the objective assessment of 7-day physical activity by an accelerometer. All of the above parameters were evaluated in the control group of healthy people over 60 years of age.
This project was carried out in 2017-2019 by employees of the Institute of Physiotherapy of the Medical Faculty of the University of Rzeszów in cooperation with the largest association of women after mastectomy in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship, ie the "Amazon Amazon Club".
The results of the research are:
- obtaining valuable results in the field of clinical and functional parameters, which allowed the assessment of health status, lifestyle and current knowledge in the field of prevention of oncological diseases of the studied group
- based on the results obtained in 2017-2019 (and ongoing cooperation), a series of training and educational lectures on breast cancer prevention was conducted, an educational lecture was delivered at the meeting on the occasion of the European Day for the Breast Cancer (Rzeszów, 15/10/2019) along with a short interview for Radio Rzeszów, volunteering
- general exercise gymnastics classes for women after mastectomy, in the form of volunteering
- preliminary research results were published in chapters of scientific monographs, papers at scientific conferences were delivered
- it is planned to publish scientific publications in journals with IF (publications during the editorial process).
Dr n. o zdr. Ewelina Czenczek- Lewandowska - project coordinator / researcher
Dr n. o zdr. Justyna Leszczak, Dr n. o zdr. Joanna Baran, Dr n. o zdr. Aneta Weres
2. Evidence of research contribution
- Ewelina Czenczek-Lewandowska, Bogumił Lewandowski. The importance of physical activity to oncological prevention. Źródło: W :Rehabilitacja 2019 / pod. red nauk. Teresy Pop. Adres wydawniczy: Rzeszów : Wydaw. Uniwersytetu Rzeszowskiego, 2020. Opis fizyczny: S. 58-68.
- Grzegorz Przysada, Justyna Leszczak, Ewelina Czenczek-Lewandowska, Joanna Baran, Aneta Weres, Natalia Szypura. Level of physical fitness and movement activity of people after 60 years of age. Źródło: W :Rehabilitacja 2018 / pod redakcją naukową Teresy Pop. Adres wydawniczy: Rzeszów : Bonus Liber Wydawnictwo i Drukarnia Diecezji Rzeszowskiej, 2019. Opis fizyczny: S. 159-170
- Justyna Leszczak, Ewelina Czenczek-Lewandowska, Małgorzata Gaweł, Andrzej Kwolek. The importance of physical activity over 60 years of age on the example of people practicing Nordic walking. W :Rehabilitacja 2018 / pod redakcją naukową Teresy Pop. Adres wydawniczy: Rzeszów : Bonus Liber Wydawnictwo i Drukarnia Diecezji Rzeszowskiej, 2019. Opis fizyczny: S. 116-125.
- Agnieszka Konefał, Justyna Leszczak, Joanna Baran, Wojciech Rusek, Justyna Podgórska-Bednarz, Ewelina Czenczek-Lewandowska, Justyna Wyszyńska, Teresa Pop. The impact of occupational therapy on physical activity in the elderly. W :Rehabilitacja 2017 / pod red. nauk. Teresy Pop
Adres wydawniczy: Rzeszów : BONUS LIBER Sp. z o. o. Wydawnictwo i Drukarnia Diecezji Rzeszowskiej, 2018. Opis fizyczny: S. 55-72
- Joanna Baran, Zuzanna Hanas, Teresa Pop. Selected parameters of functional evaluation of women pomastectomy [W]: Rehabilitacja 2019. Pod red. Teresy Pop. Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Rzeszowskiego. Rzeszów 2020; 107-124. ISBN 978-83-7996-764-3.
- Characteristic of societal impact
The conducted educational and research project has primarily contributed to deepening knowledge in the field of oncological rehabilitation, which is a field that is constantly developing in Poland and requires supplementation with current reports. Objective measurements of clinical parameters have allowed for a more accurate analysis of the functioning of patients after breast cancer treatment, which allows increasing the effectiveness of rehabilitation.
The environmental impact primarily focuses on raising the awareness of women after mastectomy in terms of modifiable factors, i.e. weight control, undertaking sufficient physical activity, improving eating habits that have a significant impact on future health and the risk of relapse.
Each participant of the study received the described report with test results (including body mass components, physical activity) and had the opportunity to consult individual physiotherapists.
As part of the project, employees of the University of Rzeszów conducted numerous training and educational lectures for Amazons, whose goal was to increase knowledge in the field of disease, rehabilitation as well as prevention. One of them was a lecture during the European Breast Cancer Day, attended by Amazons and specialists from around the region. Propagation of knowledge among a wider audience was made possible on this day also thanks to an interview with Radio Rzeszów - of provincial coverage.
As part of volunteering, also, in practical form, weekly general conduction exercises were attended by willing ladies associated in the club (Rzeszów region).
The conducted educational and research project and volunteering were included in the project submitted to the Office of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship entitled "EDUCATIONAL MEASURES, MEDICAL AND SOCIAL THERAPY, and REHABILITATION OF RZESZÓW AMAZONEK IN 2019"
4. Evidence of societal impact
1) IX International Rehabilitation Days, Rzeszów, 23-24 February 2017.
Joanna Baran, Aneta Weres, Ewelina Czenczek-Lewandowska, Edyta Łuszczki, Grzegorz Sobek, Katarzyna Dereń, Paweł Więch. Title: 60 minutes for health. Impact of the level of physical activity on selected cardiometabolic parameters. Source: In: The needs and standards of modern rehabilitation: 9th International Rehabilitation Days, Rzeszów, 23-24 February 2017: abstracts. S. 20-22
2) European Breast Cancer Day, Rzeszów, 15/10/2019, educational lecture:
Ewelina Czenczek- Lewandowska, Justyna Leszczak, Joanna Baran, Aneta Weres. "Forms and importance of permanent rehabilitation after mastectomy."
3) European Breast Cancer Day, Rzeszów, 15/10/2019, radio interview:
Ewelina Czenczek- Lewandowska, short interview on breast cancer prevention
4) training lecture at the meeting of the "Rzeszowski Klub Amazonka" association, Rzeszów, 06/02/2019,
Ewelina Czenczek- Lewandowska, Justyna Leszczak, Aneta Weres, Joanna Baran. "Be active and happy - about the importance of physical activity"
5) training lecture and conducting scientific research at meetings of the "Rzeszowski Klub Amazonka" association, Rzeszów, 20/09/2018
Ewelina Czenczek- Lewandowska, Justyna Leszczak, Joanna Baran, Aneta Weres "Physical activity in women after surgical treatment of breast cancer"
5. Justification of interdisciplinarity and breakhrough of the research
The presented project is an interdisciplinary activity. The presented project is an interdisciplinary activity. The authors, in cooperation with medical scientists, evaluated the results obtained, promoting them both in the academic space (publications, conference presentations, didactic area) and, above all, in the area of women treated for breast cancer.