Institute of Archaeology
st. Hoffmanowej 8, 35-016 Rzeszów
phone no.: +48 17 872 15 81
fax no.: +48 17 852 57 37
Head of the Institute
Prof. UR dr hab. A. Rozwałka
dr Katarzyna Trybała-Zawiślak
The Institute employs 22 staff members, including 4 professors, 5 post-doctoral degree holders, 8 doctors, 5 Master's degree holders and 2 engineering-technical workers.
The Institute comprises the following Units
Unit of Stone Age Archaeology
head prof. UR dr hab. Andrzej Pelisiak
Unit of Protohistoric Archaeology
head prof. dr hab. Sylwester Czopek
Unit of Mediaeval Archaeology
head prof. dr hab. Michał Parczewski
The Unit of Methodology and History of Archaeology
Head prof. dr hab. Sławomir Kadrow
Programmes offered by the Institute
3-year BA degree courses (full-time)
2-year MA degree courses (full-time)
The history of the Institute
The Institute of Archaeology was founded in 1999 and has since focused its educational activities on the programme entitled "Eastern border of Central-European province in prehistory and the early Middle Ages". The programme has been carried out in co-operation with Ukrainian, Slovakian and Czech archaeologists. Our research, both in terms of field-work and theoretical studies, deals with different aspects of prehistory, as well as the early and late Middle Ages in the south-east of Poland.
The Institute of History has been granted the right to offer MA programmes (since 2001) and PhD programmes (since 2005).
Research conducted with international cooperation
Within the Lifelong Learning Programme - Erasmus the Institute co-operates with
- Masaryk University in Brno (the Czech Republic)
- Charles University in Prague (the Czech Republic)
- Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald (Germany)
- '1 Decembrie 1918' University in Alba Iulia (Romania)
- West University of Timisoara (Romania)
Besides, the staff members of the Institute co-operate with scientists from many foreign centres
- Museum in Braila (Romania)
- Institute of Archaeology Sheffield University (Great Britain)
- Institute of Archaeology Cambridge University (Great Britain)
- Seminar für Ur- und Frühgeschichte Georg-August-Universität (Göttingen- Germany)
- Stanford University (the USA)
- British School of Archaeology Athens (Athens - Greece)
- Archeologický Ustav SAV (Nitra - Slovakia).
Scientific workers of the Institute supervise or participate in numerous international research projects, in which the students of our Institute also take part, e.g.:
- Oberleiserberg (Celtic Settlement- Austria)
- Humlin (multicultural site - the Czech Republic)
- Bibracte (Celtic oppidum- France)
- Teliţa-Celic Dere (cemetery from 1000 BC - Romania)
- Jebel Barkal (multi-period site in Nubia - Sudan)
- prehistoric sites in the area of Drohobych and Halich - Ukraine
Archaeology graduates, who are required to complete both theoretical courses and practical training (excavations and field studies), can find employment in numerous branches of the State Office for the Protection of Monuments in whole Poland, as well as museums, similar institutions and private archaeological companies where they can supervise or take part in excavation researches. The graduates can also do researches at universities and research institutes. General humanistic education combined with extensive language and IT programmes (statistics) should enable our students to seek employment outside archaeological institutions, too.
Archaeology students can develop their interests and skills in the Scientific Circle of Archaeology Students acting since 1999. What is more, the library of the Institute lists over 10,000 volumes and is continuously updated with new Polish and international titles (the exchange with 70 institutions from 10 countries).
Since 2005, the Institute has been publishing its own archaeology journal ‘Zeszyty Naukowe UR – Archeologia’. Since 2006 the Institute has been co-publishing the annual ‘Analecta Archaeologica Ressoviensia’ with the Foundation for Archaeological Centre in Rzeszów. Till 2008 two volumes of the annual and a series of monographs ‘Collectio Archaeologica Ressoviensis’ appeared (in the years 2006-2008 nine positions came out). Moreover, the Institute and the District Museum co-publish the annual ‘Materials and Reports of the Rzeszów Archaeological Centre’, listed on the register of the journals assessed by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.